CD price: $12
The CD is available at lydia & Andrea's performances for $12. The following online prices include shipping/handling.
Tasty traditional tunes from Sweden on fiddle & nyckelharpa. Our very favorite quintessential Swedish tradition, "fika" is about pausing to enjoy coffee/tea and treats, and sharing them with friends. It is nearly always time for fika! We are very excited about bringing you these favorite tunes from our year in Tobo.
If you enjoy learning tunes from transcriptions or from simpler slowed-down recordings, see also our tunebook below, which contains all of these tunes.
Featuring: lydia ievins (5-string fiddle, nyckelharpa), Andrea Larson (fiddle, voice)
- sample Polska efter Skrap-Olla [fiddles]
- Slängpolskor [fiddles]
- Kärleken i världen [voice, fiddle]
- sample Schottis till Tom av lydia ievins & Andrea Larson [fiddle, nyckelharpa]
- Polkett efter August Bohlin [fiddle, nyckelharpa]
- Skänklåt efter A.G. Jernberg [fiddle, nyckelharpa]
- sample Karl XIIs vals [fiddle, nyckelharpa]
- Härjedalsschottis [fiddle, nyckelharpa]
- Polska efter Tulpan [fiddles]
- sample Halling från Härjedalen [fiddles]
(Total time 27:52)
mp3 price: $7
Download from CDBaby
(still want liner notes?
see note at right)
Prefer your music in digital form? You can now download our album directly!
If you don't want to miss out on the album art (photos, notes and stories about the tunes, full credit to all the folks who deserve credit!), CDBaby doesn't have a way to provide that, so you'll want to go to BandCamp instead. Price there is "$7 or more"; they take a heftier commission.
Trip to Tobo tunebook (2013)
This tunebook began as a promised reward for supporters of our Kickstarter campaign, but it is now available for sale as well. It consists of two main parts: an e-book in PDF format, and a folder of mp3 files, one for each tune. The document and the audio are designed to be used together, since—as you may know—transcriptions have their limitations in this genre. The recordings are "taught at a workshop" caliber: I play each tune slowly/simply first, and then again more like real life. This descriptive info and other useful tidbits are in the friendly preface page of the tunebook. It includes all of the tunes on our CD "Fika".
Featuring: lydia ievins (5-string fiddle, nyckelharpa)
- Aldrig har jag sagt - slängpolska
- Barockpolska av Édoard du Puy
- Bonden i Paradis - vals
- D-moll schottis av Konsta Jylhä
- Fyra svarta hästar - slängpolska
- Gulamålavitens brudmarsch fr. Valö
- Gustafs skål
- Halling e. Garnbindarn
- Halling fr. Gunnarskog
- Halling fr. Härjedalen
- Kära min mor - slängpolska
- Karl XIIs vals
- Lasse leile diu - slängpolska
- Österby paradmarsch av Hasse Gille
- Polkett e. August Bohlin (A/D/G)
- Polkett e. August Bohlin (D/G)
- Polonäs e. Gustaf Blidström
- Polska e. Byss-Calle
- Polska e. Byss-Calle nr36
- Polska e. Carl Viktor Rulin
- Polska e. Myrås-Pålle
- Polska e. Petter Dufva nr19
- Polska e. Petter Dufva nr22
- Polska e. Petter Dufva nr45
- Polska e. Skrap-Olla
- Polska e. Tulpan
- Polska i D-moll e. Anders Liljefors d.ä.
- Schottis till Tom av lydia ievins & Andrea Larson
- Skänklåt e. Anton Gustaf Jernberg
- Slängpolska i F-dur av lydia ievins
- Spelmansvisa e. Anton Gustaf Jernberg
(Total time 1:26:21)
Praise from early adopters:
"This is like Christmas! It is so beautifully conceived and executed. I love everything you wrote, both in the preface and the notes on each tune. ... I am absolutely delighted!" —Sarah S.
"This is WONDERFUL ... I love the format with slow, normal AND music. This is just super!! Thank you!" —Maurita H.
"It will be enlightening to get more deeply into this collection. Well worth the investment!" —Matt F.
Trip to Tobo: the digital EP (2012)
We created this digital EP as a reward for supporters of the Kickstarter campaign that made our year in Sweden possible.
Featuring: lydia ievins (fiddle, viola, nyckelharpa), Andrea Larson (fiddle, voice)
- Laurel och Tristans brudpolska [fiddles]
In August 2006 Andrea was warming up to play for a wedding and this tune hopped right into her fingers. She made it a gift for the happy couple, the daughter and son-in-law of a favorite student.
- Örebro engelska [fiddles]
This is the first Swedish tune Andrea learned by ear, from the playing of Isabell Svärdmalm of the band Klintetten. Trad. Örebro.
- Sommarens schlager [voice, viola]
This is one of our favorite polska tunes to play together — or, in this setting, to sing and play. Trad. Rättvik efter Pers Olle.
- Schottis från Högfors [fiddles]
We learned this tune from our friend Stefhan Ohlström. Trad. Västmanland efter Ivar Bergman.
- Holevvalsen [fiddles]
Traditional Danish tune, which Andrea learned from virtuosic fiddler Harald Haugaard in 1999.
- Great Falls [fiddle, nyckelharpa]
A majestic-sounding tune that lydia named after her home village in the town of Montague. She originally thought it would want to be a polska, but it seems to have an identity crisis. Maybe it's a polonäs?
- Ursulas hambo [fiddles]
Ursula is a small cheerful bear who will be accompanying lydia on our adventure in Sweden. She wanted her tune title to be in Swedish (hence the lack of apostrophe).
- Spelmansglädje [nyckelharpa, voice]
Deservedly the most famous tune in the nyckelharpa repertoire, by the late great Eric Sahlström. We offer it here in honor of Eric's 100th birthday this year, and of our travels to study at the Institute that bears his name.
(Total time 19:23)
The CD is available at lydia's performances for $15. The following online prices include shipping/handling.
New fiddle tunes in traditional Scandinavian styles: a collection of original tunes by Bruce Sagan and lydia. Andrea doesn't play on this record, but it does feature lydia's waltz for her, "Waiting for Andrea", on twin nyckelharpas. For more info, see the Northlands site.
Featuring: Bruce Sagan (fiddle, nyckelharpa, hardingfele), lydia ievins (fiddle, nyckelharpa)
- Sallys Födelsedagspolska (Sally's Birthday Polska) by Bruce Sagan [fiddles]
- sample Dewitt Road by lydia ievins [nyckelharpas]
- Hedgehog Waltz by lydia ievins [fiddles]
- The Three Bs by Bruce Sagan [fiddles]
- Mrs. Chambers by Peter Blue [nyckelharpas]
- Polska till Margie (Polska for Margie) by lydia ievins [fiddles]
- Carols Schottis by Bruce Sagan [fiddles]
- Erics Bänk (Eric's Bench) by lydia ievins [solo nyckelharpa]
- sample Pols til Fred (Pols for Fred) by Bruce Sagan [fiddles]
- Bruremarsj Hennes Elizabeth (Wedding March for Elizabeth) by Bruce Sagan [solo hardingfele]
- Längtan efter Sally (Longing for Sally) by Bruce Sagan [fiddles]
- Kry på Dig, Carolyn! (Get Well, Carolyn!) by Bruce Sagan [fiddles]
- Waiting for Andrea by lydia ievins [nyckelharpas]
- Pols til Lynn og Ted (Pols for Lynn and Ted) by Bruce Sagan [fiddles]
- sample Sallys Bröllopsmarsch (Sally's Wedding March) by Bruce Sagan [fiddles]
- Lullaby by lydia ievins [nyckelharpas]
- Mary och Evans Bröllopsvals (Mary and Evan's Wedding Waltz) by Bruce Sagan [fiddles]
- Alan's Farewell by Bruce Sagan [fiddles]
(Total time 57:32)
To purchase by mail order, please send a check to:
2 Marshall St.
Turners Falls, MA 01376-1728
Where are we shipping to? Please add the following amount per CD for shipping and handling:
- Within the US: add $2
- Canada/Mexico: add $3
- Europe/Australia: add $4
- Anywhere else? please ask!